Sunday, March 17, 2013

Ye Olden Times

Yesterday we attended the Arizona Renaissance Festival! It was the first time I’ve ever been to the Ren Fest even though I’ve lived in Arizona for over ten years. Oh it was such a blast! Huzzah!

I have to admit it was a bit overwhelming because there was so much to see and so many costumes! Some of the attendees were dressed in amazing costumes. Oh my word! What a sight. I was so amazed I forgot to take pictures. But next year I shall be prepared – I’m going to take a ton more pictures. Sometimes I get a bit shy and feel weird about asking to take pictures with people, even though I’m sure a lot of them wouldn’t mind. Also, I really want to dress up too! Dressing up seems like it’s half the fun. I think I’m going to find a belly dancer/ gypsy costume for next year. I really wanted to do purple, but I wear a ton of purple so I think I may try for my favorite color and go with red. On the whole it was a delightful day in spite of the heat and crowds. It was lovely to get out of the house and do something fun, instead of the usual weekend chores.

Ok! Picture time!

This is one of the poor elephants who were giving rides to people. I know they are taken care of and are also a part of breeding programs but I feel bad about them walking around in circles and lugging people around. Needless to say I didn’t get a ride. But I love elephants, so a got some pictures instead.




Here we were at the last joust of the day – the King, Queen, and their entourage arriving at the arena.




This young woman was our cheer leader for our “bad guy” knight. She was very good at leading us in cheering and was super cute!




The King and Queen came around to wave to us before the main event.




This is Don Julio de ... I can’t quite remember, but he was very handsome and entertaining! Max was another “bad guy” knight who is in the background.




Here is Don Julio getting ready to joust with our cheer lady in the foreground. Unfortunately he didn’t win and was killed on the battlefield by Max. Boo.




A pendant I bought from Renaissance Pewter.




It was so bloody hot the whole day and at the very end of the day I finally found a vendor who was selling these beautiful lace parasols. I decided on the gold one – so pretty!




Tickets and map – what a fun filled day! I can’t wait to go back! Huzzah!!


No comments: