Sunday, October 17, 2010

Money can’t buy happiness, but it comes close

After five months of unemployment, I am now employed! I can’t explain how happy I am to have a job. It’s a great position where I get to use my skills and also learn new techniques. Most importantly I’ll be getting back to doing research! I’ve been away from the lab bench for far too long.

Is it strange that I feel like a “normal” person now? My husband and I can go out to eat, we can go to the movies, and we can actually go out with friends! The last couple of months I’ve felt like a recluse because I didn’t have money to go out and do the things that most people with an income take for granted. I’ve been at home spending hours on end applying for jobs or fixing up our rental property. I am thankful that all those hours paid off. (Now we just need to get the rental house, rented.)

I feel like my life is back on track. I can actually go back to the gym, buy clothes when I need them and even buy my best friend presents for her birthday and Christmas which is coming up. She and my husband are the only two people I ever get presents for. I’m not a very good gift giver. I just can’t figure out what to give someone else unless they tell me that they need something specific. I’m not that person who always knows the perfect gift to give. My brain is a bit more practical in giving and in receiving. I like to get socks and I like to give socks. Everyone needs socks.

My husband, let’s call him, Mr. Tyger, landed his new job the week before I got mine. He is elated to be working again as well. I think it has been hard on him because he’s not the kind of guy who likes to sit at home and do nothing. He’s been working since he was a teenager and has a very strong work ethic. I don’t start my job till next week so it’s been fun packing his lunch for him every morning. I’ve been putting little love notes on post-its in his lunch box. I figured he would know that he is loved and that I’m thinking about him even when he’s at work. However, being a house wife is starting to grate on my nerves. I like being able to keep a clean home and have time to watch Dead Like Me at my leisure, but my brain is starting to decay. I need to have an occupation that allows me to use my brain and that’s why I’m so happy about this new opportunity.
Wilted neurons are never sexy.

October has been a fortuitous month for us! And even though our schedules aren’t ideal, we’re both glad to be working.

2 comments:

CeCe said...

I always say money doesn't buy happiness but neither does poverty! Like it or not we need money. Congrats on the jobs.

LadyTyger said...

Thank you my dear! :)